Basil essential oil is a valuable resource in the pharmaceutical and food industries, with many useful applications for human health. Basil essential oil contains compounds that are anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and aid in the treatment of a wide range of health problems. This article will provide information on the main components of basil essential oil and its diverse applications in the field of medicine and food.
1. Characteristics and chemical composition of basil essential oil
1.1. Characteristics of color, taste
- Color: Basil essential oil is usually light yellow in color.
- Taste: has a cool, slightly acrid scent
1.2. Chemical composition and biological effects
Estragole (90%), Methyl chavicol (2%), 1,8-Cineole (2%), and 3-Carene (1%) and other active ingredients. Basil essential oil has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It has the ability to prevent the growth of pathogenic bacteria and fungi, prevent infection, and soothe inflammatory symptoms. In addition, it also helps repel mosquitoes, insects (Methyl eugenol).
Other compounds: In addition to the main components mentioned, basil essential oil also contains many other compounds such as pinene, terpinene, linalool and many other derivatives, which contribute to the richness of applications of this essential oil.
See details: Basil essential oil
2. Applications of basil essential oil
2.1. In medicine
Application as an antibacterial agent
In a study published on August 5, 2023, basil essential oil showed the potential to be used as an effective natural antibacterial agent. The results showed that basil and rosemary essential oils were active against clinically resistant strains of Escherichia coli, and also against broad-spectrum β-lactamase-positive bacteria. Basil essential oil was tested to be more active against all clinical strains of Escherichia coli. Basil essential oil is effective not only in the treatment but also in preventing the spread of resistant strains.
Application in health care products such as massage oil
The anti-inflammatory properties of basil essential oil help soothe inflamed, red, or swollen skin. When applied in liniment, it can help reduce inflammation and pain. Moreover, the characteristic aroma of basil essential oil helps to relax the mind. Basil essential oil has the ability to soothe tense muscles. The use of massage oils containing basil essential oil can help relieve muscle pain after exercise or stressful work.
Moreover, basil essential oil has the ability to enhance blood circulation. When used in liniment and applied to the skin, it can help improve blood circulation.
2.2. In the food industry
Basil essential oil is not only valuable in the field of medicine but also has many important applications in the food industry. Basil essential oil is a useful additive in food production, and also imparts natural flavors and aromas to products. The main applications of basil essential oil in the food industry:
Use as food additive
- Preservative effect: Basil essential oil contains anti-bacterial and antifungal compounds, which help prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in food. This makes it a natural preservative that prolongs the shelf life of food products.
In a study on April 1, 2022 in China, scientists performed an experiment to determine the mechanism of resistance to Listeria monocytogenes (this is a bacteria that causes food poisoning) of essential oils. basil. The results showed that basil essential oil has good antibacterial ability against L. monocytogenes. Basil essential oil increases the hydrocarbyl chain disorder of bacterial phospholipid tails, which in turn leads to increased cell membrane permeability, causing leakage of intracellular proteins and DNA. In addition, basil essential oil inhibited the EMP pathway by inhibiting the activity of key bacterial enzymes (phosphofructokinase (PFK) and pyruvate kinase (PK)).
- Create a delicious taste: The spicy and unique aroma of basil essential oil can create a natural aroma for food products. Using basil essential oil as a food additive can improve the taste of products and make them more appealing to consumers.
Application in the production of spices and processed foods
- Spice production: Basil essential oil is often used in the spice manufacturing process to create products with a mildly spicy flavor and unique scent. It can be used to spice up many dishes.
- Food processing: Basil essential oil is also used in food processing to improve flavor and create a characteristic aroma. Adding basil essential oil to products such as sauces and dips can make dishes more appealing.
In summary, basil essential oil has many health benefits and is used in many fields. With today’s trend of loving natural products, basil essential oil is increasingly popular and more research is needed on this essential oil.
Hopefully the article “Basil essential oil composition and application in medicine and food” has brought a lot of useful information to you. To order basil essential oil in bulk, contact now:
Hotline: +84 86 88 55 086